Fairmont Public Cemetery
Board Memebers: Wanda Marget President Phone 402-366-8012 or 402-268-3831
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Beverly Jacobsen, Sec; Janet Stephenson, Treas: Board members Coby Dosch and Jim Snodgrass
NOTICE: UNAUTHORIZED BURIALS OR SCATTERING OF CREMAINS IS NOT PERMITTED
Memorial Stones can only be placed at the cemetery by an authorized Monument Company, following Cemetery regulations.
|X Y Z
2017 Tree Replacement Fundraiser
This last year we asked for special donations for trees. The trees along the north, east and west fence lines need to be removed and replaced. They all have a disease and are dying. Many have already been removed and the rest will be removed this summer and replaced in October. The Ash Trees will also have to be replaced due to disease that is moving across Nebraska.
If you would like to make a donation to the Maintenance and replacement of trees send your donation to:
Fairmont Cemetery Association
PO Box 428
Fairmont NE 68354
or dropped off at the Library or the Heartland Bank Fairmont Branch
WE WANT TO THANK ALL WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS FUND!
The Fairmont Cemetery is located in the southeast quarter of section 29 in Fairmont Township, Fillmore County, NE. It can be found on the north side of County Road F, approximately 1/2 mile east of the intersection of County roads F and 14.
The earliest people we have record of being buried in the Fairmont Cemetery are a Ranson Stuart, who died September 6, 1872 of brain fever and a Thomas Morgan who died September 30, 1872 of typhoid fever.
There are two sisters who bear earlier dates of death. They are Stella Wheeler who died January 17, 1865, age 10 years and Susie Wheeler who died April 6, 1872, age 5 years. They were the only children of Wallace and Almira (Rogers) Wheeler. It is thought that these are memorial markers for the children, as the family moved to Fairmont in 1884. According to history Stella died in Illinois and Susie in Nebraska City, NE. Their bodies may have been moved here but is more likely these markers were put up when their father, Wallace Wheeler died in 1897.
The person with the earliest birth date buried in the cemetery is V. E. Kemper who was born in 1796 and lived to the age of eighty-two years. The oldest person buried in the cemetery is Emma Haughawout Smith she was 104 years old at the time of her death. She was born July 9, 1882, and died August 11, 1986.
As you look at the cemetery records you will no doubt notice the many young people of the community that were ravaged by the illness of the day.
Sickness has played an important part in early pioneer days. Lack of knowledge and medicine often wiped out whole towns. In the mid-to-late
1870's a diphtheria epidemic spread through Fairmont and many lives were lost. The deceased were often buried in family yards as no one would carry the bodies to the cemetery for fear of contagion. Later these graves were moved to the cemetery.
In April of 1999 two pioneer children were moved to the Fairmont Cemetery from what is referred to as the Roe Cemetery. The graves were moved by the Nebraska Department of Roads of Nebraska, due to two new lanes being added to the present Highway 81. The graves were moved from the east side of highway 81 approximately 3 1/2 miles north of Fairmont. The legal description of the Roe Cemetery is, W 1/2 of SW Quarter of Section 6, Township 8N Range 2 West of the 6th P.M. Fillmore County, Nebraska. The graves of the pioneer children were found 15 steps northwest of the surveying marker. The pioneer children were Charlie Matthews who died July, 17, 1879 at the age of 2 years, 2 months 3 days and Libby Roe who died September 19, 1872 at the age of 12 years, 3 months.
The Fairmont Cemetery is a beautiful place due to the people of Fairmont, from our pioneer families to present day, who have stepped forward to take on it's care. The cemetery association is privately funded through the generosity of the public and patrons.The Fairmont Catholic Cemetery is located in the north west quarter of section 29 in Fairmont Township, Fillmore County, Nebraska. It can be found on the south side of county road E, approximately 1/2 mile east of the intersection of county road E and 14. The plot for this cemetery was donated by Timothy Fitzpatrick and was platted by John D. Jenkins in 1876-1877.
Fillmore County Cemetery Information:
Web site: visitfillmorecounty.org/Genealogy/index.html